Sheep Camp: 2 Days of Everything Sheep!
Are you an aspiring sheep farmer? Do you want to spend time with sheep and learn ancient crafts? Do you love making things from scratch and tromping through fields and forests? Join us for Sheep Camp! We’ll start with pasture management – the foundation of a healthy flock – and then move on to working with milk and wool.
In this hands-on intensive, we are excited to share what we have learned in our 12 years of sheep dairying, including:
- Working with electronet fences
- Solar chargers and trouble shooting
- Remote pastures
- Medicinal hedgerow grazing
- Managing parasites
- Deterring predators
- Management intensive grazing, and more
- Milking sheep by hand (it’s not as hard as you think!)
- Using a portable bucket milker
- Safe storage of milk
- Making sheep yogurt, butter, and ice cream
- Naturally culturing milk
- Basics of cheese making and aging
- Washing wool without soap, using fermented “suint”
- Picking and carding
- Spindle spinning
Dates: August 13-14 2022
Location: Cate Hill Orchard, Greensboro, Vermont
Important to Know:
- All sessions will take place outside, barring severe weather. Please bring clothing for hot and cold weather, rain gear, clothes you don’t mind getting dirty, and good shoes or boots.
Our sheep camp is part of our “Farm and Sing” Camp Series for 2022. We met each other through our love of singing, and for us, singing is an integral part of our farm. We sing traditional songs about farming, about the land and seasons, written by farmers both here in Vermont and from other parts of the world. We’ll start each day with a short group sing, creating community and joy through shared song.
-Josh and Maria